1. In times of crisis, treat yourself like a toddler who has a terrible flu. Be as kind to yourself as humanly possible.
2. If you secretly believe someone everyone “loves” is really an asshole, you’re probably not alone.
3. Whether it’s your church or your bathtub, spend time, regularly, in a place where you are accepted exactly as you are, and are reminded that there is something bigger at work.
4. Do not spend time in a dysfunctional environment, even if you are getting paid for it.
5. Don’t let anyone treat you with disrespect, NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE.
6. If your partner loses a parent, imagine, as often as possible, how you would feel if you lost one of yours.
7. It is almost impossible to support someone during a difficult time if you yourself don’t have support. It’s like a single column trying to hold up an entire building.
8. It’s almost impossible to get support if you don’t ask for it.
9. It IS impossible to get support from people who aren’t supportive. (Seems easier to figure out than it is.)
10. Letting go of the people who can’t support you may result in the mysterious appearance of people who can.
11. No matter how terrifying it seems, say goodbye to someone who is dying. For the rest of your life, you’ll be glad you did.
12. If possible, spend a few days a year somewhere where there is no phone, no internet, no TV reception, no cell phone reception and no other people. Try not to recall horror movie plots while this is happening.
13. It is possible to lead a happy life without cheese.
14. Don’t trust anyone who doesn’t thank you for homemade cookies.
15. If someone really rubs you the wrong way, chances are it’s because of a really old part of you you’re not paying attention to.
16. Just like muscles don’t happen if you don’t exercise, positive thinking doesn’t happen if you don’t practice it. It takes effort, and concentration. It takes recognizing that negative thoughts are no more “real” than a positive ones. When in doubt, find the company of someone who’s been doing it for a long time.
17. Stop being afraid all the fucking time! But be nice to yourself when you are. (See #1.)
Let's hear it for 2012.